Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Day 46 - Lucky Numbers

I just cracked open a fortune cookie. My fortune is: "A good time to finish up old tasks."
Hmmm... that's inspiring.
On the back I have some lucky numbers, but I think I'll just skip over those.
Chemo patients do not play the lottery.

Cancer is a luck based disease. You have something like a 33 percent chance of getting cancer in your life time. If you get cancer, you become a percentage. 33 percent. Once you get used to that identity, you find out that out of people with testicular cancer, Embryonal Carcinoma accounts for 20 percent. Guess a number between one and 5. You got it. Lucky you.

Then the doctor starts telling you how if you opt to go with surgery on your lymph nodes there's an 80 percent chance the cancer will stop right there, and you won't have to go into chemo. But you're not listening. You already know you are 20 percent. 80 percent chance of success might work for someone who is 33 percent. Not you. You'd ending up going into chemo anyhow. Might as well get it over with.

Besides, a 98 percent cure rate sounds good. Then you start thinking. Could I be 2 percent?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home