Sunday, October 22, 2006

Day 35 - Temporary

I'm taking a vacation from having a life. Instead of going out partying/drinking/clubing, I'm staying home, watching movies, playing games.

This is not as bad as it sounds. I want to be careful with my health, and in 4 weeks when this is all over, I'm simply going to go crazy and get drunk and smash things. So I don't feel too bad about my current arrangement. It's a temporary solution.

Oh funny story. At work there's this guy, we'll call him Gary. I'm cool with Gary. He likes to party and likes women a lot and I respect that. However, Gary has a really mean spirited sense of humor. He thinks as long as he's smiling like a jackass he can say whatever he wants. I don't get the feeling that he's trying to hurt people, but the way he says stuff... shit I don't know. Here's the first thing he said to me after not seeing me for a few weeks:
"Hey, going for the chemo patient look?"
Now if anyone else had said this, I would of probably just let it go, but you have to understand, the WAY he said this was soo annoying, I just didn't want to take it. I smiled, and leaned forward.
"UH YES actually."
He didn't believe me.
"No seriously, why would you want to cut your hair like an 80 year old man." Still smiling like a jack ass.

I was in kind of an amused disbelief. This wasn't hurtful to me, cause I actually like the new look, and I'm not planning on keeping it for too long. But you can't just go up to someone who's mysteriously changed their haircut and start making jokes about going through chemotherapy. What if they actually do have cancer? Like, in this case for instance?

I explained to him some more details, he still didn't believe me.
"If that were true, you would lose your eyebrows."
"No, you don't." I think I would know.
Finally he believes me, but doesn't stop smiling, he's just like, "oh."

I walk back to my desk feeling that its about time someone stuck it to Gary, and I also got to thinking, what if I had taken the easy way out and didn't tell him I have cancer, and he found out from someone else that I did? THAT would probably have been much worse than me confronting him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home