Monday, September 25, 2006

Day 8 - the pointy hats come off

You should of heard me. I was brilliant.

"Birthday cake, makes life worth living another year."

Being jolted awake by the telephone during an extended power nap yields strange revelations about the world.

"But you notice, that the second time, you need twice as many candles to get the same effect."

Especially when the dialog takes a deliberately combative tone.

"And then the next year, you can't just have two, you need a third one to feel the same effect. Otherwise you'd be like fuck that and then the pointy hats come off and start flying around like serious projectiles, poking peoples eyes out. It's horrible. Thats why they make you blow them out before you eat the cake. In a fit of birthday cake induced rage, there could be a fire."

I got off easy today. Got a quick shot of bleomycin, and the anti-nausea drug, lorazepam, which comes with a pleasant groggy high. You kind of slide back and forth down the street, with slightly more control than a drunken stumble. Later in the day, you get tired and decide to take an hour nap. You sleep 3 hours past your goal and wake up to a phone call from a friend from home.

I swear, getting waken up at this point opens up part of your brain to the infinite wisdom of the universe. I become a genius for the ensuing half an hour conversation. I state that "Langston Hughes' success with the poem "A Raison in the Son" is largely due to the people who interpreted it for him. Without the right interpretation, it's about decomposing grapes.
To further prove my point, I quickly make up a poem about corn, which ends with something like:

"And as the light shown down on the fields,
who knows what comes
of the mouse when it squeals."

It's a metaphor for existence and the wonder of youthful discovery. I just made that up on the spot. Give me the award!

Then the conversation turns to the topic of pollen, which my friend seems to think can be eaten.
"Pollen can not be eaten. Do you know why?"
"...because it's pollen?"
"ITS pollen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Oh."
"POLLENNNNNNNNNN!!!!"

Note: Conversations end quickly when you yell "POLLEN" over and over again. I imagine that's how brilliant people end conversations all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home